Partitioning Step

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat May 24 17:40:09 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 05:11:30PM -0400, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> I guess this goes more for the Pure LFS set, but since the host system is
> unspecified (and could be INCREDIBLY old or broken, or even compromised in
> ways that might not carry over when building new packages (because if it
> did carry over, this wouldn't matter anyway)), I wonder if it would be
> better to suggest (if the person has enough disk space) to first build
> chapter 5 in a directory on the host system, and add mke2fs (and maybe
> tune2fs) to chapter 5, and use those to initialize the partition. Then, the
> /static directory or the /stage1 directory and symlink could be put on
> there with a simple mv -r. Anyone think this'd be useful?

Some of us go even one step further, and build the whole shebang in a
directory with some "mount --bind" tricks. Partition agnostic! Once Ch 6 is
complete, it is then possible to prepare the new target partition from
inside the chroot (for e.g. ensuring latest e2fsprogs get used) then copy
the whole lot across.

Having said all that, I believe the status quo is best for the general
purpose book.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org