Propose of a new FAQ entry (setting LANG and LC_ALL variables)

M.Canales.es labuenaestaenlafirma at terra.es
Sun May 25 02:51:54 PDT 2003

El Dom 25 May 2003 02:10 Greg Schafer escrbió:

> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:48:03AM +0200, Fernando Arbeiza wrote:
>> Solution:
>>
>>     Unsetting the localization variables or setting it to 'C' or 'POSIX'
>>     before running ./configure should fix this issue:
>>
>>         unset LANGUAGE LANG ${!LC_*}
>>
>>     or
>>
>>         LANGUAGE='POSIX'
>>         LANG='POSIX'
>>         LC_ALL='POSIX'
>>         export LANG LANGUAGE LC_ALL
>
> LFS currently exports LC_ALL=POSIX in the Chapter 5 lfs user's profile. Is
> that not enough (for Ch 5 at least)?

When ch5 was constructed of static form was enough with that. With the
present method I am not safe, I have not been able to still test it.

> Should we be doing the same for Ch 6 (adjust the chroot command line or
> some such)?

It can be added to assure that the environment are clean, but maybe is not
necesari in LFS ch6.

> Doesn't LC_ALL override all others?

Override all the LC_* variables, but I'm not sure about LANGUAGE and LANG.

The locale issue maybe is well resolving in LFS. The problem appears when
instaling programs from BLFS, mainly when the steps ./configure and make
are made like normal user. For that reason Fernando and me suggests
includes this issue in the FAQ and test proppely the new LFS build method.

Manuel Canales Esparcia         macana at macana-es.com
Usuario de LFS nº 2886          http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
LFS en castellano:                      http://www.escomposlinux.org/lfs-es
TLDP-ES:                                http://es.tldp.org