The move to custom XML

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 25 09:27:20 PDT 2003

On May 23, 2003 05:10 pm, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > The idea of writing the book in one big file has some disadvantages such
> > as finding the exact location of a section. Sure you can search for
> > things like "Installing Bash"
>
> I hope that these words will not occur ANYWHERE in the new LFS book. They
> are presentational only and do not carry any information, so they belong
> in the stylesheet, not the source document. Look at my book outline again.
> Do you see the words "Installing Sed" there? Do you see them in the
> sed.xml file that I suggested for carrying all the sed-specific
> information and text?

I went back and read your outline again. I like it, it's clear, easy to follow
and to the point.

> One important point is that in XSLT you do not just open and include the
> file. You can select certain parts of the file and process them, setting a
> processing mode if desired. BUILD{sed}  processes the complete sed.xml in
> the "formatpackage" mode in my example. I could set up a rule  URL{sed}
> that would extract and format the download URL of sed and insert it in the
> output. Try doing that with <xinclude>.

I see, that's some "power" that's going to be handy to have.

The next thing I'll be doing is printing out the XSLT recommendation, going to
my front yard, sit down in a nice comfy chair and read it while enjoying the
mountains in the backgroun d;)

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org