Problem with Libtool-1.5

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue May 27 23:53:12 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 01:01:34AM -0400, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> This post from the libtool bug mailing list might shed some additional
> light on the problem:
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2003-04/msg00068.html
>
> I don't pretend to understand all of it, but there is a reported bug in
> Libtool 1.5 when a package ships with a earlier private version of
> Libtool.

It's urm, sort of relevant :-)

> I'm not necessarily suggesting dropping back...but this problem,
> according to Dagmar, affects more than just fam.  I haven't seriously
> scoured my system for affected libs, and most things appear to be
> working normally.  But, since I know a lot of the "GNU Experts" like you
> and Ryan and all don't frequent the *-support lists, I figured it might
> be a useful thing to get cross-posted.

Ok, I've reproduced the problem and found the fix.

The breakage is caused by the rerunning of the autotools. What is happening
is this:-

 - the BLFS patch touches various autotools files that force them to be
   rebuilt

 - part of this rerunning involves running aclocal

 - aclocal recreates aclocal.m4 (it's programmed to look at
   /usr/share/aclocal which, lo & behold, contains libtool.m4 from the
   libtool-1.5 package!)

 - we now have a mismatch coz the ltmain.sh in the fam tarball is version
   1.4 but the aclocal.m4 was created from the 1.5 m4 file. This is broken,
   broken, broken!

The fix is to run:

  libtoolize --force

imediately after applying the fam patch.

The whole concept of relying on the autotools to rebuild the necessary files
is a BROKEN idea! At least from our package builders POV. It's certainly a
nice feature for developers actively devloping code, but for us pkg
builders, it cannot work reliably. BLFS must address this!

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org