gcc-3.3 -> glibc-2.3.2 -> inlining failed warnings

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed May 28 00:16:56 PDT 2003

Hi

Anyone else noticed the copious amount of these type of warnings?

../stdio-common/_itoa.h:40: warning: inlining failed in call to `_itoa_word'

There is literally thousands of them.

gcc-3.2.3 doesn't do it.
gcc-3.2.3-rhl8 branch doesn't do it.

I noticed the RH glibc rpm uses -finline-limit=2000 (the default is
apparently 600)

I tried that and it gets rid of a fair chunk but doesn't eradicate the
warnings altogether.

Seems like the inlining heurisitics in gcc-3.3 have changed or something or
maybe the warnings are just better now. Dunno.

Anyone have any insight? Is there a problem? AFAICT, RH haven't started
compiling their glibc's with 3.3 yet, although I note that they have created
a 3.3 branch in the gcc CVS and started committing.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org