gcc-3.3 -> glibc-2.3.2 -> inlining failed warnings

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Wed May 28 01:37:47 PDT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 07:16:53 +0000 (UTC)
gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) wrote:

> Hi
>
> Anyone else noticed the copious amount of these type of warnings?
>
> ../stdio-common/_itoa.h:40: warning: inlining failed in call to
> `_itoa_word'
>
> There is literally thousands of them.
> <snip>
> Anyone have any insight? Is there a problem? AFAICT, RH haven't
> started compiling their glibc's with 3.3 yet, although I note that
> they have created a 3.3 branch in the gcc CVS and started committing.

AFAIK the "inline" keyword is simply a *hint* to the compiler to try and
inline the function - it could ignore it if it really wanted to.
Therefore if glibc breaks because gcc-3.3 can't inline various
functions then this needs to be addressed by the glibc folks.  There may
be a slight performance penalty by not being able to inline those
functions it's warning about, but I'm not sure how noticable (if at all)
that penalty would be.

Just my tuppence.

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org