Pure LFS / Next LFS Release

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed May 28 05:44:45 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 03:28:04PM +0300, Jouko Orava wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Ian Molton wrote:
> > I think its silly.   theres no need to make it special and it
> > complicates the book.
> >
> > Gerard! put your foot down please, this ones driving us nuts...
>
> I'd like to advocate using a variable for /stage1 because the
> side effects are something of value for me.

You raise some very interesting and pertinent points.

But one thing you seem to be missing (as do a lot of others once they gain a
bit of knowledge) is that the book is not a script! Nor is it designed to
turn the reader into an expert shell scripter!

The book is a book is a book. There are lots of reasons why peole read the
book, but forcing shell functions onto them is a bit much IMHO, and not in
the spirit that has made LFS what it is today.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org