localedef bug?

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed May 28 17:37:51 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:01:09AM -0700, Chad Simmons wrote:
> --- Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote:
> > (start with no locale-archive)
> > $ cd /stage1/lib/locale/
> > $ localedef -i de_DE -f ISO-8859-1 de_DE
> > $ cp locale-archive locale-archive.orig
> > $ localedef -i de_DE -f ISO-8859-1 de_DE --replace
> > $ cmp -l locale-archive.orig locale-archive
> >   9041   1   0
>
> What is the purpose of the --replace option? Why aren't you running the command
> the same way both times? Do you get identical files if you mv instead of cp and
> then don't use the --replace option?
>
> Just some questions that popped into my head. Perhaps they will be helpful.

I think you missed the point. The cp is to keep the original to refer to. A
mv will defeat the purpose. The --replace option produces the same behaviour
as not using it. I only put it there coz someone was bound to say "why didn't
you use the --replace option?" :-)

The only reason I'm mentioning it is: this is a source of different bytes
when using Ch 6 to rebuild itself. Sure, one can opt not reinstall the
locale data, afterall, it is just data. But that is not good enough IMHO and
I'd really like to know whether the behavior is expected or whether it is a
real bug.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org