gcc-3.3 -> glibc-2.3.2 -> inlining failed warnings

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed May 28 17:51:06 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 02:12:42PM -0400, Zack Winkles wrote:
> I generally pass "-finline-limit=500000". Since glibc builds with -O2

Wow, that is a "sledge hammer" approach if ever I've seen one. :-)

> and not -O3, inlining with only occur on functions specifically marked
> with 'inline', thus no major growth in the size of the resulting libs.

Yeah but.. glibc has about 18 bazillion functions specifically marked as
such.

Not convinced.

I found this in CONFORMANCE. Might be relevant. Dunno.

"glibc's use of extern inline conflicts with C99: in C99, extern inline
means that an external definition is generated as well as possibly an
inline definition, but in GCC it means that no external definition is
generated.  When GCC's C99 mode implements C99 inline semantics, this
will break the uses of extern inline in glibc's headers.  (Actually,
glibc uses `extern __inline', which is beyond the scope of the
standard, but it would clearly be very confusing for `__inline' and
plain `inline' to have different meanings in C99 mode.)"

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org