lkml on kernel headers and glibc (et al)

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Wed May 28 20:42:13 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 20:55, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Will it be such a big deal
> if this also applies to the kernel headers? Probably not.

Probably not.  At least not today.  Probably not tomorrow either.  But RedHat
is developing two very different products these days (and the difference will
only get bigger).  The enterprise edition is serveral hundred dollars a copy.
It is meant to be very stable.  The comsumer desktop edition is pushing the
bleeding beta edge more each day.  I think RedHat has come to see it as a
testing ground for packages that after a year of beta testing by millions of
consumers gets merged into their corporate product line.

Now, all this is fine and dandy.  And I hope RedHat makes money.  But that
does not necessarily mean that RedHat's best interests are my best interests.
As was evidenced in the lkml thread the RedHat employee responsible for the
headers package was not very forth coming as to how he decided what went in.
Looking at the changelog in the spec file from the srpm other RH employees
contribute to the maintenance of the package.

P.S.  Zack, thank you for making your headers package available.  I'll ask for
a URL if I can't find them when I eventually go looking for them.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org