CVS ready to use?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 30 11:25:54 PDT 2003

On May 30, 2003 11:49 am, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> I know the text of the book is still not 100%, but about 2 weeks ago it was
> said that VS would be 'ecent enough to build a box from' in about a week.
> are we there yet? I've got about a half-dozen boxes that need to be built
> for various uses/clients and would prefer to use CVS over the 4.1 release.
> opinions on such? caveats? thanks

Opinions may be divided on this. I personally think it's good enough to go.
I've put LFS-CVS on one of my main systems and so far things are working out
just fine. I've finished LFS-CVS install itself and added some base X stuff
like XFree86 itself, KDE, GTK-1, GTK-2 and some other things.

The only thing I need to remind myself is to use /opt/gcc-2.95.3/bin/gcc as
the compiler when compiling third-party kernel modules. For instance I
compiled the alsa driver by accident with gcc-3.2.3. The result is that the
driver loads fine, but when I try to unload Linux locks up. And alsa utils
seg fault when I try to play sound files. Recompiling the driver with 2.95.3
fixed all that. Similar problems with other kernel modules.

The things that need to be done in the lfs-book right now are "pretty-ing'
things up. Added all the Pure-LFS explanations from the pure-lfs.txt hint and
cleaning the instructions up a bit. But, I haven't found anything that
results in a blatant and obvious bug in the end-product, other than the "rm
/bin/awk" command when installating gawk in chapter 6, but that one is known
already so can be ignored.

The real test is you trying it out and letting us know. We're still testing
and the more people try it out, the more different configurations will be
used that may expose problems not found yet.

In an hour or so I'm going to install LFS-CVS on the linuxfromscratch.org
server (the one that's going to be put into a colocation facility very soon
now, more on that in other email). Maybe that's an indication how "good
enough" I deem LFS-CVS myself. I figure the LFS server will be a good field
test to see how things hold up (stability and "pureness" wise).

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org