Chapter 5 - tcl

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Mon Sep 1 21:21:47 PDT 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:34:19PM -0400, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>>Greg - you're the toolchain guy - do you have any problems with just
>>removing the make check on TCL from the book?
>

> I'm a toolchain kind of guy so I only really care about the toolchain. The
> rest is cruft :-)
>
> But being serious for a moment, I've stated my case in the plfs hint.
> Personally, I do not run the testsuites for tcl, expect, dejagnu. If they
> always passed or if they weren't so fscking cryptic then I'd probably run
> them more often.
>
> I still think the whole big picture issue of running the testsuites needs
> further thinking in the context of the book.
>
> Should the book always run all the test suites?
> Should the book always run only some of the testsuites?
> Should the book only run some of the testsuites some of time?
>
> I've often thought about the concept of having 2 default builds. A "normal"
> build and a "checking" build (wherein all the testsuites are run).
>
> The book could give the option to the reader:-
>
> "now, if you are performing a 'checking' build, run the testsuite for glibc
> by issuing 'make -k check'"   or something like that. And have a paragraph
> in the intro that explains the whole testsuite situation (similar to what we
> have in the plfs hint).
>
> My scripts are setup that way. Sometimes when I'm testing out a particular
> problem, I may not necessarily need to run the testsuites. I simply set a
> config variable to CHECKING=N and I can save a stack of time.
>
> Whether this concept of "selective testsuite running" is suitable for the
> book or not, dunno.
>
> Greg

I was actually thinking about this as well, Greg.  To the LFS community
in general: The three core parts of the toolchain are GCC, Glibc, and
Binutils....How would everyone feel if we ran the tests on these 3
packages only for the book, and perhaps a brief mention of other
packages that have make checks available for them...So, it would look
like this:

in GCC, Glibc, and Binutils:

Because this package is so integral to the Linux operating system, we
want to run it's testsuite.

make check

in other packages:

While for the purposes of the book we choose to not utilize it, this
package does have a testsuite that can be used.  Run it with the
following command, if this is your desire:

make check

What do you think guys?

-J-