Expect-5.39.0 - make test failures

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 7 08:30:14 PDT 2003

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:22:33 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

> The expect portion of the book says: "Note that also here some of the
> tests might fail, and that this is not a problem here either."
>
> However, when I check my logs, they give me:
>
> all.tcl:        Total   22      Passed  15      Skipped 0       Failed
>  7
> Sourced 6 Test Files.
> Files with failing tests: logfile.test send.test spawn.test
>
> It seems to me that one third of the tests is more than "some". Is
> this normal?  If so, these failures need to be documented a bit more.
> If not, what is normal?

Oh dear.  I don't like those results, mainly because they remind me of
the torrid time I had getting them to pass under Knoppix.  Basically my
results can be summarised as:

Knoppix - tests run as lfs user:

all.tcl: Total 22 Passed 0 Skipped 0 Failed 22

Knoppix - tests run as lfs user after doing a script;exit;make test

all.tcl: Total 22 Passed 15 Skipped 0 Failed 7

Knoppix - tests run as root:

all.tcl: Total 22 Passed 22 Skipped 0

I assumed that this had something to do with the way Knoppix handled
devpts, but maybe there's something more to it.  I don't suppose your
host uses devfs does it?

Sorry I couldn't be of any more assistance,

Matt.