Use of "sed -i" in chapter 6

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 15 12:49:33 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:45:35PM -0500, Archaic wrote:
> Ditto. Just a question for curiosity.. when was the last time someone
> saw an ed patch instead of a diff patch? Bill, you don't count as you
> probably still write ed patches. ;)

I've never, ever seen an ed patch. In fact the only reason ed is in the
book is because when I started LFS way back when (1999), I saw that patch
checks for it. Back then I didn't know that ed wasn't an often used
program, so it was put into the book and never looked at again. I've been
considering for a long time now that ed can be removed, I don't think
anybody uses it. The few who do can install it themselves. It could
possible be moved to the BLFS book.

But since patch will look for it, and if not present assume a wrong
location (/usr/bin as opposed to /bin), we might want to install patch and
make sure patch will look for /bin/ed when it gets installed after patch,
not before (kind of like creating a symlink that points to a non-existing
target which may or may not become valid in the future).

http://linuxfromscratch.org