User nobody

Ricardo Barberis richi at uolsinectis.com.ar
Thu Sep 18 20:13:33 PDT 2003

El Jueves 18 de Septiembre de 2003 19:42, Archaic escribió:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 04:31:44PM -0500, Andy Neebel wrote:
> > Why not just use the last possible number - 65536, or what ever it is.
> > I doubt that very many people use that number ever.
>
> There was I reason about lastlog (IIRC) growing excessively large. I
> don't remember the specifics, though.

I remember the discussion, but in my system I always had nobody with UID
65534 (also nogroup with GID 65534) and check this out:

$ ls -l /var/log     # some unnecessary info removed
-rw-r-----    1 root     root        73454 sep 18 22:07 cron.log
-rw-r-----    1 root     root      1037027 sep 18 23:17 daemon.log
-rw-r-----    1 root     root       332600 sep 18 23:03 kdm.log
-rw-r-----    1 root     root      3763171 sep 18 23:16 kern.log
-rw-r-----    1 root     root       146876 sep 18 22:08 lastlog
-rw-r-----    1 root     root      5042773 sep 18 23:17 sys.log
-rw-r-----    1 root     root      4977024 sep 18 22:08 wtmp

As you can see, lastlog's size is ~140KB

And the biggest files are sys.log and kern.log, meanning I'm gonna have to
setup logrotate or something like that :)

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Barberis "z0mbiX"  :-)     http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?z0mbiX
Usuario Linux Nº 250625:           http://counter.li.org