Should the build commands be reinstallable?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 4 16:19:41 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:

> Currently, there is a bunch of packages that fail to reinstall when using
> the book's commands, mainly due to use of "ln -s" instead of "ln -sf".
> There's also a couple of "mkdir" 's instead of "mkdir -p" 's as well. And
> lastly, bzip2 refuses to reinstall unless a "rm -f /usr/bin/bz*" is slipped
> in before the "make install".

I currently use the proposed commands in my ALFS profiles, and the
"official" LFS profile does it as well, for this very reason. People
using nALFS to do an install frequently end up rerunning portions of the
profile, and it's nice to have the commands succeed in spite of having
been run before.

With that said, I plan on eventually modifying nALFS to not use shell
commands for things like mkdir, link, chown, chmod, etc., but instead to
have its own code that can differentiate between an actual error and the
desired result already being in place. I know that's off-topic for this
list, but thought I'd mention it anyway for those who may be interested.