Perl weirdness

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 5 13:05:05 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:15:14 +1100
Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote:
> Clearly, they want to use O3 by default. Rather than hack -Doptimize=
> into the perl build commands for Ch 6, it may well be easier for us to
> just install "arch" in the Ch 5 util-linux section.
>
> I've never noticed this before coz I've always used the -Doptimize
> switch in my own perl builds. Shame on me.

FBBG :) (just kidding of course - if you and Ryan had done that heaven
knows where we'd be right now!).

FWIW I agree with adding "arch" to chapter 5 - building a package
with different optimisations on the same machine feels wrong.  The
developers obviously think there is a problem with -O3 on the affected
architecture/compiler combination so we should do what we can to honour
their judgement IMO.

Regards,

Matt.