Should the build commands be reinstallable?

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 8 14:02:24 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:
> Currently, there is a bunch of packages that fail to reinstall when using
> the book's commands, mainly due to use of "ln -s" instead of "ln -sf".
> There's also a couple of "mkdir" 's instead of "mkdir -p" 's as well. And
> lastly, bzip2 refuses to reinstall unless a "rm -f /usr/bin/bz*" is slipped
> in before the "make install".
>
> So should we have an official policy on this? It's easy enough to make the
> changes but do we really want to? A downside to the "ln -sf" 's is that the
> first time reader may not see an error that would otherwise show up if they
> made a typo.

Like Matt and Bill, I think the book should not use -f and -p, for the above
reason: to catch typos and mistakes.  And it seems easy enough to make lfscmd
add these flags to the ln and mkdir commands automatically.  Maybe ask the
maintainer for an option that does this?

The use of -v is not a bad idea, or instead the book could just say somewhere
something like: "If you're relatively new to Linux, we suggest you use the -v
flag with most of the simple commands (like ln, cp, mv, chmod), so they will
say what is being done."

Alex

--
"The superfluous is very necessary."