Any chance of downloading cvs as text ?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jan 10 17:03:39 PST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Xinkui Hao wrote:

> >  saw Greg's post, thought it was about time I updated my 5.0
> > buildscripts to match the current book.  Went to the uk mirror to
> > download, but all I can get is html.  Now, I've nothing against html,
> > but I was hoping to do a diff to show what has changed - and diffing the
> > html produces a lot of noise for renamed links etc.
>
> Diff on text files is not as good as diff on xml according to my
> experience. In fact, generally the changelog tell you all the changes
> about the content of LFS book. Some entity changes are not reflected on
> the changelog, but it's already sufficient for your build scripts, right?
>
> Xinkui Hao
>
> haox at musc dot edu

I think you're maybe right.  The diff on the text got a bit silly in the
end (the insertions were just too big for diff to keep its place, so by
the end there would be sporadic unrelated deletions among the
insertions).  Nevertheless, the text is easier to visually understand,
all of the changed entities and renamed directories get in the way, and
anyway the html files (pages) are in alphabetic order.

My request was more a marker - sometimes it's just easier to read the
plain text.  I know you have to create the nochunks first, but it isn't
much of an overhead to create it if you have a working docbook (which I
don't anymore).

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!