move logfile creation out of Shadow's section

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Sun Jan 11 02:42:12 PST 2004

I just wanted to take a look at LFS's instructions for creating btmp, wtmp
and company. I searched fruitlessly for a while in different sections till
it dawned on me that this could be part of Shadow's instructions. I don't
think it's appropriate to keep this information there. These files are not
Shadow specific. init and agetty and xterm and other programs write to
these files, too.

I think this information could be merged with
"Creating the passwd and group files" to form a
"Creating the passwd, group and log files" section, or more explicitly
"Creating passwd, group, lastlog, utmp, btmp and wtmp"

That makes the life easier for people who want to go back later to check
which of these files need to be manually created and what permissions LFS
recommends for them. They can just search the TOC for "utmp" etc.

MSB

--
Democracy is when the least competent have the most power.