new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 11 12:07:09 PST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:42:26 +0100
Alex Groenewoud <alex at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > And seeing that we now have enough developers to move forward
> > without Gerard, we should do so. The change was discussed on the
> > lists and if it is approved by the other developers, you should feel
> > free to commit the change.
>
> It appears I do not have CVS write access.  If any of the other
> editors feels like making the change, I've uploaded two bzipped
> patches that apply cleanly to the CVS state of an hour or so ago.
> Greg, Matthew, Jeremy?
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alex/lfs-new-layout.patch.bz2
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alex/lfs-textual-tweaks.patch.bz2

Does anyone have any objections to me applying these patches under the
LFS/newxml module instead of to HEAD?  This makes sense to me for 2
main reasons:

  1) LFS-5.1 is being considered now and I'm not sure that this kind of
change is suitable for a minor revision.  Applying the patches to the
branch will mean HEAD keeps a consistent feel but at the same time they
won't get lost or forgotten about (again!)
  2) Some of the changes alter the structure of the XML (in particular
appendixa/[package].xml] can now be removed if the pages they used to
produce are being replaced with links back to chapter06/[package].html)
hence it lends itself well to the type of work that is being done in the
"newxml" module.

I'll hold off on applying these until I get a general feeling of
"OKness" (or otherwise) with the rest of the editors.

Cheers,

Matt.