move logfile creation out of Shadow's section

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Jan 11 13:50:56 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 11:42:12AM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> I just wanted to take a look at LFS's instructions for creating btmp, wtmp
> and company. I searched fruitlessly for a while in different sections till
> it dawned on me that this could be part of Shadow's instructions. I don't
> think it's appropriate to keep this information there. These files are not
> Shadow specific. init and agetty and xterm and other programs write to
> these files, too.
>
> I think this information could be merged with
> "Creating the passwd and group files" to form a
> "Creating the passwd, group and log files" section, or more explicitly
> "Creating passwd, group, lastlog, utmp, btmp and wtmp"
>
> That makes the life easier for people who want to go back later to check
> which of these files need to be manually created and what permissions LFS
> recommends for them. They can just search the TOC for "utmp" etc.

It's amazing how things go around. The important thing is that the log file
creation come before the shadow install.

I made your exact suggestion close on 12 months ago:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2003-March/033028.html

But I didn't have editorial license then :-)

Thanks. It'll be dealt with.