new layout for the book

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 12 08:05:19 PST 2004

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 14:31, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
Nice long thread, let me tell you guys up front I have not read every
email in it yet. I'm catching up quickly but there are a few other
things that have a higher priority (new spamassassin (see lfs-support)
and mirroring the glibc tarball by Greg).

I like the compacted version. I agree the TOC needs to be more verbose
and that has been discussed already. Or mentioned I should say. I
haven't read a final judgement/recommendation yet.

As for implementation of this new layout, I think it's better served to
get this into the new xml-rewrite (what's the status on that anyway I
kind of lost track). Better in the way of less chance of messing up the
current book (this is not because I don't trust your work Alex, but
because we're all human) so we can get LFS-5.1 out quicker.

Now that the 2.6 kernel is out, LFS-6 seems a little closer. Upon
evaluation maybe this implementation of a new book layout is best served
for the lfs-6 release? LFS-6 is planned to go to print too again, a new
layout has to go in it to keep the page count down a little.

Having that said, I am not against it showing up in LFS-5.1 at all.
Whatever works best time wise and such.

I like the discussion that has taken place, I trust whatever you guys
come up with with regards to layout will be a good decision (I'm not a
typesetter or layout person perse so rather not get too caught up in it.
I've done it in the past, and we all know it hasn't worked out for the
best -- see current book layout).

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.beekmansworld.com