new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 12 09:21:23 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:06, James Robertson wrote:
> I think we all never came to a good solid agreement.  If a decision

Then in that case we should reach one before work is done (etiher here
or in xml-rewrite or where ever).

> This all comes down to communication and a decision tree.  If we are to
> continue, we _need_ to get this solved soon.  If Gerard is OK with us
> making decisions about the book without him, then we need a semi-formal
> if not approved decision plan on who(m) can make such decisions.  In a

Maybe we ought to put somebody in place who can take care of layout and
style issues like this and can work independantly? Sure there'll still
be the proper discussion as with everything, but when something is
decided, said person can just go ahead and do whatever needs to be done.
That is still our goal with the whole organization thing, eventhough
things have teetered off a little over the holidays. But it's a new year
with new chances :)

> Also, as much as I like what Alex is trying to do, it is not on the
> roadmap or "seen" by any of the other editors and detracts from the
> things we all have decided to work on.  If anything, it should be
> included with the XML redesign as I think it is a good fit there.  This
> is probably one of the reasons why "it got lost" in the shuffle.

I agree on that point: it did get kind of lost in my own shuffle as I
thought this was best saved for the rewrite effort. We have to write
some kind of stylesheet, that might as well render the book in the
format similar to what Alex has been suggesting. But like I said in an
earlier email today, if you guys think it's good enough to go into
LFS-5.1, that's fine with me too. As long as it can be done without it
holding things up. Then again LFS-5.1 isn't quite ready yet and I
imagine Alex has whatever patches ready already to get this done
quickly, so this may not be an issue at all (still have to finish
reading the rest of this thread).

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.beekmansworld.com