Glibc-2.3.3 tarball

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 12 11:39:01 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:
> Hi

[Snip...]

Hi Greg and all.

Please forgive any potential ignorance on this subject, but why do we
_want_ to bring upon ourselves the coreutils problem and the need for a
non-official tarball release that we have to manage?  I am confused.  Is
Glibc 2.3.2 not good enough?  I know (I think) that 2.3.3 has NPTL in it
and 2.3.2 does not, but you only need that if you are running linux
2.6.x right?  What else is in there that requires us to upgrade and ring
trouble on ourselves.  We are not a distro and so do not do things like
the distros do - rememeber?  With this coreutils issue coming to light I
think it would be prudent to wait until the dust settles some more (even
more?).  I know we want to be on the edge, but some things can wait
until they stablize some.  Greg, I know you are the resident expert on
the toolchain and Glibc is well within your area of control, but I am
skeptical as to the need for this change at this time.  Can't we wait
until we decide to get linux 2.6.x into the book?  I am still not sure
if the whole "headers" thing got settled, which also effects Glibc and
all the rest of the userland packages we install.

Thanks
James