new layout for the book

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 12 13:50:15 PST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:05:19 -0700

> As for implementation of this new layout, I think it's better served
> to get this into the new xml-rewrite (what's the status on that anyway
> I kind of lost track). Better in the way of less chance of messing up
> the current book (this is not because I don't trust your work Alex,
> but because we're all human) so we can get LFS-5.1 out quicker.

Agreed, and I see todays flurry of activity seems to be suggesting this
is the general consensus as well.  As such I'll apply the patches some
time this week - not sure quite when.

As far as the status goes, the TODO/README files in that module
should give you a brief idea of what needs doing, the (fairly large) CVS
activity and associated log files should give you an idea of what's been
done to date.

Executive summary:

* Book is now split up roughly how *I* think it should be.  This needs
dev's/editor's eyeballs on it to make sure I'm not on my own here.
* Version entities have been (re)created and are now referenced by the
majority of places in the book that need them.  Unfortunately somethings
gone screwy and the entities aren't being resolved properly on
generation of the book i.e. there's no version numbers at all on any of
the web pages!.
* Preliminary html-chunked output is possible via an XSL stylesheet -
just type`make` from the top level directory :)
* Preliminary CSS stylesheet is referenced by chunked HTML pages.  Again
this needs dev's, editor's and readers alike to view it and suggest
improvements/modifications to the rendering.

Best regards,

Matt.