Bug #114: expand setclock script

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 12 17:38:48 PST 2004

There has been some discussion going back and forth on this matter and I
haven't read a satisfactory answer what to do when ntp is not used and
if the hardware clock should be saved to match the current system clock.

I believe the problem is if NTP isn't used, how do you know which clock
is still accurate? The cmos one might be drifting, but the kernel based
one might be too, maybe both at the same time at different speeds?

I don't want to rehash this entire discussion, but I myself don't know
what to do here. I use NTP myself and never bother to ever save my
hardware clock. I know my hardware clock is about 30 minutes off, but
that's no big deal. I boot, as soon as the network card is up, ntpdate
is started to reset my system clock before any daemons are started.
Never a worry.

Anyways, if we can't come to an agreement we ought to close this bug. It
has been around for over two years now, and it has not been a real issue
as far as I am concerned.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.beekmansworld.com