Bug #114: expand setclock script

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Mon Jan 12 19:30:38 PST 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 06:38, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> There has been some discussion going back and forth on this matter and I
> haven't read a satisfactory answer what to do when ntp is not used and
> if the hardware clock should be saved to match the current system clock.

I think that the principle of the least astonishment (or "do what other
distros do" if you like it better) applies here. I vote for saving the time
into the hardware clock on shutdown.

This will also help those who have laptops that have Internet connection (and
use NTP) in one location only. E.g., I synchronize time at work, go home and
my clock isn't off.

And having one setclock script for those using NTP and another for other
people is a maintenance nightmare (similar opinion has been expressed in the
response to my question if we should expand the cleanfs script to remove
stale mysqld pid files).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov