Bug #114: expand setclock script

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Tue Jan 13 14:22:18 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 18:38, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Ian Molton brought up some interesting information regarding accuracy of
> hardware clock vs the system clock, things about quartz crystals and
> such. I got a bit lost in the thread. Ian (or anybody else who paid
> attention to it and understands it), if you're still paying attention
> could you summarize it for me?

Going strictly from memory, IIRC, Ian made the point that we really
could not assume either clock to be more accurate (ATM) than the other
*unless* we knew that some reliable time syncing was done. And in that
case it was not necessarily the Right Thing to sync the hw clock to the
system (or vice-versa too?).

Ian, if I missed substantially, please forgive. I didn't check the
threads.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational