new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 13 13:24:58 PST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> I think Alex would be the layout-and-style dude since that is where
> most of his work is concentrating on.

I wouldn't say that I'm concentrating on layout and style, but on the
flow of things, on the order and the structure.  It involves a little
bit of presentation, yes, but I only look at the results with Konqueror,
Mozilla and Links -- I don't use PDF and have no idea if the book
renders any good in that.

> Perhaps he can work closer with Matthew, who's working on the new XML?

It seems I will have to.  But when I saw Matthew mkdir chapter0[1-9]/,
hard-coding chapter numbers again, I kind of despaired.  Now the new
version of the book too will have to hammered back from a rigid frame to
a flexible string.

> Not everything has to be on the roadmap, although it would certainly
> help. Alex, what kind of changes do you want to work on? Perhaps it's
> more productive to discuss them now, reach consensus (I think Bill
> suggested a 66% majority) and put them on the roadmap?

A good idea.  See my next post.

Alex