plans and wishes

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 13 14:15:25 PST 2004

Hello all,

Here's most of the changes I have in mind for the book, and things that
I'd like to see happen sooner or later, in no particular order.  Only
some of these points plan to do before branching for a 5.1 release.

a) Move the sections on $LFS, SBUS and test suites from chapter 2 to the
beginning of chapter 5.  This info is now given at the beginning of the
book but needed only three chapters later.  It seems better to put it
just before it is becomes relevant.  (In reality it isn't important
information at all: it won't hurt you one bit skipping it alltogether,
mostly because after the creation of the /tools dir the LFS variable
isn't used any more in the whole of chapter 5.)

b) Move the section on Asking for help to an appendix, and refer to it
from somewhere at the beginnig of chapter 5.

c) The beginning of this chapter 5 will now look so crowded that the
preparational stuff warrants a chapter on its own.  Essentially chapters
2, 3 and 4 do a rotate-left, with a carry-in from 5.

d) Move Conventions, Resources and Acknowledgements to the Preface.
Move Book version to the beginning of the Changelog, and all of that to
an appendix.  Combine 'How things' with 'Structure' in the Preface.
Chapter 1 is gone, all numbers drop.

e) Bring the preparational stuff of the late chapter 6 together in its
own preceeding chapter.

f) Move the unpacking of the bootscripts to chapter 7, so it sits all
together and one can skip it in one go, if necessary.

g) Move the creation of fstab somewhere else, as it has nothing to do
with the kernel.

h) Move the stripping of the binaries from chapter 9 to the end of
chapter 6.

i) Alphabethize the order of the packages as far as possible, mostly
requiring only an extra /bin/gawk and /bin/sed symlink.

j) Change from using $LFS to /lfs.  If we can make a symlink on the
host's root dir, we can also make a mount point.

Alex