LFS-References

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Tue Jan 13 14:39:49 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:47:02 -0700
> Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > Could anybody come up with a good location where to add a reference to
> > this work?
>
> The suggestion of just after the essential pre-reading section has been
> made before (I think).  Call it something like "Additional sources of
> Information" with a suitable introductory paragraph and I can see it
> being there without causing any loss of "flow" of the book

It certainly belongs in there. I'm going to also suggest that we pepper
the book with additional references for one simple reason: it is
apparent from many posts over time that those that need to be most aware
of these resources are the most likely to forget, overlook or otherwise
not take advantage of them. Maybe "pepper" is excessive, but I strongly
believe that a few "well placed and certainly pertinent" refs to either
his whole doc or a section of it might help remind the user about it and
increase the quality and quantity of learning and retention.

A *discreet* amount of repetition is beneficial.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational