Bug #114: expand setclock script

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Tue Jan 13 15:46:02 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:33:13 -0700, Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 13:23, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
>> Is this all this thread is about?
>
> Yes, whether or that is the right thing to do: updating the hardware
> clock with whatever the kernel's version of time is: which may or may
> not be more accurate than the hardware clock.
>
> Something about both clocks will drift. If ntp isn't used how do you
> determine which clock is better. Maybe this is where adjtime comes into
> play. I haven't used it so I don't know much about it.

I understand this point of view, but regardless of which clock is more
accurate and even if i wasn't running ntp, if I set the time manually with
the date command when I reboot I don't want it to go back to what it was
before. Actually, upon further thinking, I guess in that situation I could
always call hwclock --systohc manually.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182