plans and wishes

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Jan 13 16:04:23 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Alex Groenewoud wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Here's most of the changes I have in mind for the book, and things that
> I'd like to see happen sooner or later, in no particular order.  Only
> some of these points plan to do before branching for a 5.1 release.
>

> h) Move the stripping of the binaries from chapter 9 to the end of
> chapter 6.

Sounds reasonable, but if the warning in the book is correct then the
builder has to come out of chroot, strip the binaries, and immediately

> i) Alphabethize the order of the packages as far as possible, mostly
> requiring only an extra /bin/gawk and /bin/sed symlink.

Time for me to again request that building a bootloader comes at the end
of what is currently chapter 6, maybe as chapter 6b ;) (I agree with
Greg that ch5 and ch6 have too much meaning to change them without good
reason.)  There has been occasional talk in the past about the new xml
eventually allowing arch-specific versions of the book.  By placing
bootloaders at the end, we would know that all the "common" stuff was
already in place when we came to build the arch-specific things.

And for anybody who thinks "the book is about x86" I say "go back to
v2.4.2" - I was looking for some stuff related to yaboot recently, and a
lot of the hits from google brought me to the lfs museum.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!