LFS-References

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:12:42 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:39:49 -0500, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:47:02 -0700
>> Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Could anybody come up with a good location where to add a reference to
>> > this work?
>>
>> The suggestion of just after the essential pre-reading section has been
>> made before (I think).  Call it something like "Additional sources of
>> Information" with a suitable introductory paragraph and I can see it
>> being there without causing any loss of "flow" of the book
>
> It certainly belongs in there. I'm going to also suggest that we pepper
> the book with additional references for one simple reason: it is
> apparent from many posts over time that those that need to be most aware
> of these resources are the most likely to forget, overlook or otherwise
> not take advantage of them. Maybe "pepper" is excessive, but I strongly
> believe that a few "well placed and certainly pertinent" refs to either
> his whole doc or a section of it might help remind the user about it and
> increase the quality and quantity of learning and retention.
>
> A *discreet* amount of repetition is beneficial.
>

>> Matt.

Every package has an anchor in my document, so in theory, you could put a
direct 'reference' reference in every package description.  But this is
excessive IMO.

e.g.

"For further information on Gcc check out:
http://www.freewebs.com/109bean/LFS-references.html#gcc"

--
Richard A Downing FBCS
http://www.freewebs.com/109bean/