plans and wishes

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Tue Jan 13 22:22:54 PST 2004

> Gday Ryan. I'm wary too. But we still don't have a rationale for the Ch 5
> order. Does it even exist ? :-)

Crikey, that was a year ago (pretty much to the day)

Initial reasoning was that we can't trust anything on the host
whatsoever.

Number one on the list of priorities was getting all the required build
tools upgraded for use during chapter 5 to what we would be using to
build chapter 6 with (remember, this was originally done to make the
build ch6 twice method redundant).

Most of our ch5 packages have no real external library dependencies
outside of glibc, these by rights could be placed in any order you wish
but I wanted to minimise using host binaries (hence early build of
gawk and coreutils) so looked at the build time dependencies.

You know... looking at it now it's probably wouldn't hurt to revisit
it again, at the time this was the first buildorder that worked nicely
(accomplished during a bleary eyed 1am+ effort), after that I just left
it alone (if it aint broke...)

Whatever we do, for chapter 5 we should do the buildorder in whatever
way minimises the use of host tools as early as possible, not for the
aesthetics of having everything in alphabetical order.

Chapter 6 should try to accomplish the same thing, remove our dependence
on /tools as much as humanly possible early on in the piece...

Will have to have a think about it...

Whatever we choose, we'll have to set a minimum spec linux distro
to build from for testing ( I use RH6.x, after upgrading the hosts
make to 3.80 )

[R]