plans and wishes

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 22:52:44 PST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:22:54 +1100, Ryan.Oliver wrote:

>> Gday Ryan. I'm wary too. But we still don't have a rationale for the Ch 5
>> order. Does it even exist ? :-)
<snip>
> Whatever we do, for chapter 5 we should do the buildorder in whatever
> way minimises the use of host tools as early as possible, not for the
> aesthetics of having everything in alphabetical order.
>
> Chapter 6 should try to accomplish the same thing, remove our dependence
> on /tools as much as humanly possible early on in the piece...
>
> Will have to have a think about it...
>
> Whatever we choose, we'll have to set a minimum spec linux distro
> to build from for testing ( I use RH6.x, after upgrading the hosts
> make to 3.80 )

I found it instructive just typing out the dependencies for once when
updating my refs doc yesterday.  The dependencies for the toolchain are
a relatively small set.  Thinking about 'build from' distro, we have a
number of options:

1) Use anything, but update this set of packages to these minimum
versions: (Gcc-2.95.3, make-3.80 ...)  [I'm a bit concerned about shm etc
with this approach]

2) Use one of these distro versions (RH6.x + Make-3.80, Slackware.x.x,
Knoppix.x.x ...) [This seems like the right way, but...]

3) Boot with one of the LFS BootCDs, and build from there.

(3) Absolutely guarantees the right stable platform, at the cost of a
BootCd maintenance chore for someone, the only downside is the
architecture problem.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS
http://www.freewebs.com/109bean/