plans and wishes

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Wed Jan 14 04:48:28 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:

>>c) The beginning of this chapter 5 will now look so crowded that the
>>preparational stuff warrants a chapter on its own.  Essentially chapters
>>2, 3 and 4 do a rotate-left, with a carry-in from 5.
>
> Chapters 5 are 6 are hardcoded in all of our brains. Please avoid changing
> the meanings of these chapters at all costs :-)

AFAIK Alex's rationale is that it infers a rigid structure on the book
based on chapter numbers instead of chapter contents. I agree with his
reasoning, eg. we should provide meaningful names to the chapters. While
chapter 5 & 6 have pretty fixed meanings for LFS *developers*, it has
arbitrary meaning to LFS *users*. Since we write the book for users, we
should make it as easy as possible on them to follow and understand the
book.
If we're restructuring the book, we might as well do it *right*.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans