which kernel headers where

R. Quenett qcal at quen.net
Wed Jan 14 10:46:05 PST 2004

on Monday, January 12, 2004 at 18:37 Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

Thankyou very much -to you and to Bryan Kadzban- for the comments.

"  > got me to wondering how I  can be sure that the 2.4.24 headers
" >  in /usr/include 'are the ones that [will] be used' when other
" >  packages are compiled.

"  Because you copied them there. Unless you specify CPPFLAGS of
"  -I/usr/src/linux/include (and you don't want to do that) the compiler will
"  never look in the kernel tree for headers, only
"
"  /usr/local/include
"  ${prefix}/lib/gcc-lib/${target}/${gcc_version}/include (gcc's includes)
"  ${prefix}/${target}/include (where you'd stick target system headers if
"  cross-compiling)
"  and /usr/include

I spent a bit of time over the last couple days in 'man gcc' (gotta
confess that the tops of my <pageup> and <pagedown> keys have deep
depressions and I've added some furrows to a lobe or two).  Iirc, I
saw only one rather obscure reference to /usr/include.  Also,
figuring that maybe it wasn't mentioned because it was well known
default behavior, I had a look at the output of 'gcc -print-search-
dirs'.  Couldn't see /usr/include there, either, maybe it is hidden
in one of the '../'s or maybe I'm blind.  Did I miss it or is there
some other place I should be looking?

"  After the toolchain is built ch5 everything looks after itself.

Would I be wrong to think that once the correct set of kernel headers
is in /usr/include it might not be a bad thing if there never were
any other kernel headers around anywhere?

"   HTH

Thanks, yes, it does.  Appreciated.

"  Ryan