new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 14 12:16:00 PST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:06:50 -0500 (EST)
"Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational" <bill at nospam.dot> wrote:

> But I *do* think the
> comments about the physical storage, at this late date, should not be
> a major concern and I feel as Matthew stated, effectively, "Where the
> hell were you from day one?".

That was exactly my feeling last night, I just didn't have the bottle to
actually say it.

Just to clarify, there are really two elements to the restructuring.
Firstly (and my main concern) is that the XML *sources* are structured
in a manner most suitable for our *development* team.  The second
(although obviously by no means less important) is the structure of
the book once rendered (in whatever format) from those sources.  This is
entirely separate and can be changed at a whim by changing the
stylesheets.  At this point in time I (personally) don't care what the
rendered content looks like - I'll leave that to those who are better at
judging that type of thing.  What I want is a neatly structured CVS
source repository that is:

a) Easily understood (it's immediately obvious where to find things when
you want to do what should be a 2 second change)
b) Sensibly separated. i.e. There's no repetition of common content,
whether that be entire sections of text (appendixa style stuff) or of
individual pieces of text (like package version numbers).

Many thanks go to anyone who offers critical evaluation of the current
state of the LFS/newxml module.  I realise that everyone's pushed for
time, but so am I.  I just got the feeling last night that Alex was
effectively saying I'd just wasted all the snatched hours of time I did
have available (even though the wife didn't think I did!) all for
nothing, and largely through no fault of my own.  I'm not the only
editor on LFS, everyone has a stake in this (sub)project.  If you don't
like what you read on lfs-book then for god's sake shout up
*immediately*, or even better give me your thoughts and ideas
before-hand.  There's a TODO and README in there, peruse it, mull it
over and if anything strikes you as plain wrong then let me know.  I
can't please anyone if I don't know what you want.

Best regards,

Matt.