new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 14 15:20:50 PST 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:06:50 -0500 (EST)
> "Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational" <bill at nospam.dot> wrote:
> > But I *do* think the
> > comments about the physical storage, at this late date, should not be
> > a major concern and I feel as Matthew stated, effectively, "Where the
> > hell were you from day one?".
>
> That was exactly my feeling last night, I just didn't have the bottle to
> actually say it.

Sorry Matthew, for my falling short.  But... there were at least three
people (I remember Bruce, Greg and myself) that told you that what was
needed first was a proof-of-concept (that is you take three, four maybe
five sections of the book and mark those up in what you think should be
the new lfs-xml markup language, and then develop XSLT stylesheets that
can produce reasonable HTML, text, wget-script, ALFS-profile, maybe even
Latex output, and when those stylesheets work many hands translate the
entire book to the new markup).  But you went ahead and took the entire
sources of the book and worked on those, or so it seemed, I didn't
check, at some point the trying to tell someone something stops.  And
you'll maybe remember that at that point I didn't have CVS access any
more and didn't reckon I would get it back, so I wasn't really motivated
to go stand in your way waving my arms and get run over a second time.

Sorry.  A more to the point answer tomorrow.

Alex