plans and wishes

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 15 14:00:11 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:15:25PM +0100, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> > Here's most of the changes I have in mind for the book, and things that
> > I'd like to see happen sooner or later, in no particular order.  Only
> > some of these points plan to do before branching for a 5.1 release.
>
> Alex, I'd suggest extreme caution here. You don't want to "upset the apple
> cart" too much, as you should have already learned. Most of your suggestions
> are most definitely not suitable for 5.1 IMHO.

Agreed.  I said "only some",maybe I should have said "only a few".  But
it depends.  When do you estimate the book will be ready for a CVS
branch and pre-release?  Instructionwise, bugwise, that is.  Then I can
guess how far I'll get with the rearrangements.

> > a) Move the sections on $LFS, SBUS and test suites from chapter 2 to the
> > beginning of chapter 5.
>
> $LFS is currently used in Ch 3 in "preparing a new partition".

Yes, but its use there is nearly self-explanatory.  Also, it is possible
to make a forward reference, and the explanation will be only two pages
away.

> > b) Move the section on Asking for help to an appendix, and refer to it
> > from somewhere at the beginnig of chapter 5.
>
> I'd object to this, unless you can provide rationale.

Offering help right at the start makes it look to me as if we expect
that people _will_ need help.  And to my mind makes it look too
inviting.

> Chapters 5 are 6 are hardcoded in all of our brains. Please avoid changing
> the meanings of these chapters at all costs :-)

But we shouldn't have memorized those numbers, sorry.  As Jeroen said,
we should look at what is best for the readers, not for the editors.

> > e) Bring the preparational stuff of the late chapter 6 together in its
> > own preceeding chapter.
>
> Very unclear. You need to provide more detail and rationale.

Bring together the mounting of proc and such, the chroot command, the
making devices, the creating of groups and logfiles and symlinks, as
it's all preparatoy stuff and is not about compiling and installing
packages.  See also http://linuxfromscratch.org/~alex/transition.html,
although the title is no good.

> > g) Move the creation of fstab somewhere else, as it has nothing to do
> > with the kernel.
>
> It's part of "making the system bootable" and has everything to do with
> that. I object.

Ah, I forgot grub is in there too.  I had too much my own arrangement in
my head, as on http://linuxfromscratch.org/~alex/.  I've interpreted
'making bootable' much narrower, as just the configuration of grub.
Otherwise, if the kernel is part of 'making bootable', then the
bootscripts are too, and then should be in the same chapter.

> > h) Move the stripping of the binaries from chapter 9 to the end of
> > chapter 6.
>
> Sounds reasonable in theory. But doesn't really "feel" right to me.

In chapters 7 and 8 no strippable binaries are installed.  It makes
sense to me to do the stripping as soon as possible.  And it would
mirror the stripping in the tools dir: at the end of the chapter.

> Yes, the bugzilla is open. Why haven't you entered your research results
> there yet?

Because I detest Bugzilla.

> > j) Change from using $LFS to /lfs.  If we can make a symlink on the
> > host's root dir, we can also make a mount point.
>
> I object. We already make a mount point i.e. /mnt/lfs. What would this change
> buy us?

Not having to explain $LFS.  Not having to say to do an 'echo $LFS' two
or three times.  Not having to remember to set LFS also when being root
just before chrooting.

Alex