plans and wishes

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jan 15 15:37:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Alex Groenewoud wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> > > h) Move the stripping of the binaries from chapter 9 to the end of
> > > chapter 6.
> >
> > Sounds reasonable, but if the warning in the book is correct then the
> > builder has to come out of chroot, strip the binaries, and immediately
>
> You're thinking of the long and complicated chroot command?  If we'd use
> a trick similar to the one used for the lfs user (the .bash_profile file
> executing an env command), would that make it bearable?
>
> Alex

 No, a trick doesn't remove the pain of coming out of an environment,
running a command, and then going back into the environment.  I think
"why don't I leave that until when I have to come out of chroot - it
will then strip any add-ons I've built as well".  You appear to think
"Everything strippable from LFS itself has now been built, the important
thing is to strip these bloated binaries as soon as possible".  We just
see things differently.  Anyway, the chroot command for going back in
is cut down, isn't it ?

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!