plans and wishes

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 17 02:27:35 PST 2004

Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 18:15, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> > j) Change from using $LFS to /lfs.  If we can make a symlink on the
> > host's root dir, we can also make a mount point.
>
> DON'T do that. Just because we use a "hack" to simplify the LFS instructions
> does not mean we can freely break FHS compliance (see
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.11.html).

There it says that /mnt is "provided so that the system administrator
may temporarily mount a filesystem as needed."

But it also says: "This directory must not be used by installation
programs: a suitable temporary directory not in use by the system must
be used instead."

Hmm, what is an installation program?  I haven't found a definition.

What if the LFS book is considered as an 'installation program'?  Then
it may not use /mnt but should use a temporary directory.  Where to put
this temporary dir?  The section on /tmp only speaks of temporary files,
nothing of temporary dirs.  So apparently temporary dirs can be placed
whereever one likes.  Hopla: /lfs.

Of course, in section 3.1 of the FHS it says: "Software must never
create or require special files or subdirectories in the root
directory."  _Software_ may not.  But that doesn't mean that the
administrator may not.  "Other locations in the FHS hierarchy provide
more than enough flexibility for any package."  It's about packages,
software, programs.  It means one cannot make a package that would need
a special directory in / in order to run.  That is prohibited.  But
there's nothing that prohibits the administrator to make extra dirs and
symlinks in / for her convenience.

Alex