plans and wishes

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 17 05:25:33 PST 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> (2) (no obvious order) doesn't give me a problem, the
> same way that lots of less than ideal / "magic build order" things
> don't upset me enough to worry me.

Nor does it other readers, apparently: no one ever questioned it.

> I can see it does upset you enough.

Because I'm now helping to write the book, I feel I owe the reader an
explanation.

> "When you want to find a package in the new build order, it will either
> be in its alphabetical position, or if it isn't then it had to be moved
> earlier to allow something else to build."
>
>  I hope that isn't inconsistent with what you want to do ?

That is exactly what I'd like to do.

> Now, how
> does that make it easier to find a package ?

Because nearly all packages will be in their alphabetical position,
except for three.  So most packages can be found quickly, only three
of them will produce a little "Huh?".

Alex