plans and wishes

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sat Jan 17 18:40:31 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:15:25PM +0100, Alex Groenewoud wrote:

> d) Move Conventions, Resources and Acknowledgements to the Preface.
> Move Book version to the beginning of the Changelog, and all of that to
> an appendix.  Combine 'How things' with 'Structure' in the Preface.
> Chapter 1 is gone, all numbers drop.

>From what I have seen in technical docs, Changelog is always near the
top, and it seems totally logical to me to be able to see changes
*before* you continue on with a book.

> h) Move the stripping of the binaries from chapter 9 to the end of
> chapter 6.

I see no validity in exiting chroot just to re-enter it.

> i) Alphabethize the order of the packages as far as possible, mostly
> requiring only an extra /bin/gawk and /bin/sed symlink.

If you have to add instructions, then it seems alphabetical isn't all
it's cracked up to be. I have never liked the idea of overwriting files,
especially when there is no hard reasoning for them existing.

> j) Change from using $LFS to /lfs.  If we can make a symlink on the
> host's root dir, we can also make a mount point.

And lose tons of flexibility.

--
Archaic

You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it
will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it
would do and the harm it would cause if improperly administered

- Lyndon Johnson, former President of the U.S.