Shadow 4.0.4.1 regression against 4.0.3

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Sun Jan 18 04:25:19 PST 2004

The sad fact is that internationalization is broken in Shadow 4.0.4.1. The
cause is that the macro HAVE_SETLOCALE is present only in lib/defines.h, and
there is nobody to define it. Undefined HAVE_SETLOCALE leads to
setlocale(Category, Locale) defined as an /* empty */ macro in lib/defines.h,
line 15.

Shadow 4.0.3 had the check correctly in the ./configure script, and a #undef
HAVE_SETLOCALE in config.h.in, which should be transformed to #define
HAVE_SETLOCALE 1 in config.h after the ./configure script is run. Now the
check is lost, and all i18n attempts go in vain.

For now, we (LFSers) can work around this bug (and also around the PAM linkage
bug) with the following instructions (no patches are needed):

CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -DHAVE_SETLOCALE" LIBS="-lpam -lpam_misc" \
	./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-shared --with-libpam
make
make install

and then as the book says (of course, PAM stuff above applies only to BLFS).

Also note that since this release does not contain debian/securetty file
handy, we (LFSers) have to create /etc/securetty file ourselves.

The maintainer has been CC:ed.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov