plans and wishes

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Sun Jan 18 14:22:05 PST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Archaic said the following on 18-1-2004 3:40:
>
> >>j) Change from using $LFS to /lfs.  If we can make a symlink on the
> >>host's root dir, we can also make a mount point.
> >
> > And lose tons of flexibility.
>
> Like what? The variable is never used again. The only reason it would be
> in the book is to teach users about variables. But if they don't know
> about variables, then LFS is probably too advanced for them. So there's
> no reason keeping it from a user POV.

And if the users are more advanced, they'll ignore the /lfs hardcoding
because they know from hard-won experience the benefits of a variable in
a single location having global effect. So the net result is likely that
the change is a) a waste of time, b) will need to be changed back
again someday when things change again (or there will be multiple uses
of /lfs and someone will suggest a variable) and c) we will tech newer
users bad practice.

I would like to know who, as a general principal, has ever advocated
hardcoding things when doing analysis, design or implementation?

When it comes to folks whose predominate background does not include
*extensive* analysis, design and implementation, they may find it useful
to take advantage of other's experience, just as I *depend* on other's
experience in areas in which I'm not experienced.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet