new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 18 13:35:44 PST 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Hmm I've just downloaded it now.  To be honest, the very first thing I
> noticed was it's not XML at all (well the XML that's in there is
> surrounded by non-standard constructs) and requires python to render it.

Yes, but what is there done with python, the XSLT sheets should do with
the new XML, or rather something vaguely similar.  The important thing
is that everything about a package is in a single file: if you want to
bump the version of sed, remove a patch, and tweak the instructions,
there's only one file to edit, instead of two or three different ones.

What you have done in the newxml is a reproduction of the current book,
including most of its rigid internal structure, you only use a different
tool to render it.  I don't know what to say.

Alex