plans and wishes

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 18 14:21:04 PST 2004

Don Smith wrote:
> Why destroy an order *that has been tested on many different
> hosts* just to make if alphabetical? Ryan & Greg put a great deal of
> effort into the order of packages to make it work on the widest range
> possible.

Yes, but I'd like to know _why_ this order works best.  Why must Gawk
come first (after the toolchain)?  Has it the biggest chance of being
broken or too old on the host?  Why must Bash come so late?  Does it
depend on Texinfo?  And so on.  I'd like to have the reasons explicit,
or go alphabetical.

Alex